This is part-gripe, part-info. But mostly gripe.
Insider info about lawyer services, which not many who seek lawyer services understand.
Clients usually set 3 standards for lawyer services.
1. They want the advice to be GOOD (i.e., thorough and reliable).
2. They want the advice to COST LOW (I hesitated to say “cheap”).
3. They want the advice to be given/available FAST (“can you provide me the answer NOW?”).
Alas, Life holds its few truths and one of them is that you very rarely can have all 3. You can only the service meet 2 standards at a time. Thus —
1. If you want the advice good and to cost low, you can’t have it fast. Wait in our queue of jobs till we get to your file.
2. If you want the advice to cost low and rendered fast, it won’t be reliable or complete.
3. If you want the advice quickly and good, it WILL cost you, so keep the checkbook fat and ready.
And if your find a lawyer who promises that he can provide you all 3, he/she is either:
1. in love with you (Take advantage of this period of non compos mentis before his/her feet touch the ground!)
2. is not really licensed attorney.
3. Most likely, he/she’s just plain lying. What haven’t we learned about anything that is too good to be true?
A final note, if you’re for free legal advice, we don’t mind those once in a while. In fact, they come plenty-in-a-while, and yeah we take ’em. But please tone down on the cheekiness. Case in point, I was asked (via a social networking website) to represent a person in court (Insult Number 1: me? go to traffic court?. And he is an acquaintance not a friend). Said he couldn’t make it to court because he had an appointment on that day to go jet-skiing with his girlfriend. ohhhhh-kaaay. I turned him down flat-out. And graciously (with much effort to do it that way) told him I was not licensed to appear in Cow State’s local courts. Bless his insolent 22-year old heart (yup… THAT generation). No decent lawyer would cover for you that way. And worse, we’ll only be appalled by your gall.
I am sure I will pull this blog entry down in a few days. But for now I’m keeping it up just because I need to gripe.